Best J roof rack for wide flat crossbars?

A great place to teach and learn.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Best J roof rack for wide flat crossbars?

Postby CoolWater » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:44 am

Hi everyone,
I bought the factory crossbars for my Chevy Equinox and they are shaped rather wide and flat, I guess they refer to it as some kind of aerodynamic shape. It seems most J style roof racks show a more square shaped crossbar. I ordered a somewhat cheap "universal" J rack and clearly the metal that hugs the crossbar is stamped for the square shape. Anyone else problem solve this dilemma?, or know of a specific manufacturer that makes this type of carrier to accept that shape crossbar? I see these crossbars on many vehicle types, hoping someone else has figured it out.

Thanks,
Adam
CoolWater

Re: Best J roof rack for wide flat crossbars?

Postby Fly Guy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:34 am

I know that Yakima makes fittings that fit to factory crossbars and Thule may as well. However, I believe their fittings may only adapt to their J Racks. When I have had this type of issue in the past, I have gone to a Dealer, such as REI, and they have been very helpful in finding a solution.
Fly Guy

Postby Faygo1979 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:16 am

the Thule racks accept their aero bar which are wider. they may work for you.

I would take a look at Malone racks. their racks are suppose to accept all kinds of bars.
Chris Scott.
Faygo1979

Postby Sansan1337 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:58 pm

In all honesty the best solution is to return the J-racks and strap your kayak(s) straight onto the bars.
Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
HOOK1 Fishing Team

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sansan1337
Sansan1337

Postby CoolWater » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for the replies... all seem like good options. Did some searches based on some of what was mentioned and I am confident I can find something suitable!
CoolWater

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

Sansan1337 wrote:In all honesty the best solution is to return the J-racks and strap your kayak(s) straight onto the bars.

Amen.

Most J-racks are designed for the hull of sit-in sea kayaks and don't fit wide, flat SOTs that we use for fishing. When you put a big 30" wide kayak on its side like that, it becomes a "sail" and increases the chances of flying off the roof.

I purchased ~70" Thule bars for my Ford Escape and simply strap my kayaks (2-30" SOTs fit side-by-side) directly to the bars.
Image Image
Chris

Postby ReelYakn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Yup, flat is the way to go for SOTs. I lay my ride 135 right on the bars with a piece of foam between the kayak and bars just for some cushion. Have never had a problem.
ReelYakn

Postby CoolWater » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks everyone.

I was able to find a store that actually had various racks on display that I could look at and play around with. They had a new version of a Malone that was perfect, and also folds down. The replies related to just putting the yak on the crossbars happened to be after I purchased the new rack. I guess I will play around this spring with whether I feel more comfortable with the rack or learning how to secure flat directly on the crossbars.

The most exciting thing is that I will be ready either way, once the weather turns!
CoolWater

Postby Kayak Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Also Note: most people who use roof racks lay kayaks upside down. Flatter surface and better aerodynamics. I don't care for the J racks either.
Kayak Dave

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to How-To