Boaters not paying attn.

Anything and everything kayak fishing the Great Lakes region.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Boaters not paying attn.

Postby sslopok » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Fished houghton lake this evening to try out my new to me predator mx. I was standing up working a dropoff and noticed a lund trolling in my direction. I kept an eye on him and just had a feeling he was gonna crowd me. Well, I let him get a few feet out from me and asked how they were doing. They had no clue i was there. Both the guys were facing the stern. He said he didnt see me and that noone fishes the east bay during the week. I could have literally stepped in his boat. Would of gotten in his sh!t, but I think he lives just down from us. Was a little shocked.
sslopok

Re: Boaters not paying attn.

Postby AnchorDrops » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:18 am

I had a boat run over a salmon I was fighting in Manistee Lake 7 years ago. They had plenty of time and space to turn off but, like your situation, they were focused behind the boat as opposed to looking forward until it was too late.

Unfortunate truth is we have to remain vigilant.
AnchorDrops

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:08 am

I was wading the flats in Florida a couple weeks ago. This pontoon boat is trying to slowly navigate the shallow water with a guy on the bow telling the captain where its too shallow to go. He gets within 10 feet of me and asks me if I think he can make it thru the area. I say "you mean this area that I'm fishing?" He gets snotty with me and makes fun of me wearing a buff and sun gloves. I cast a double-treble lure across his bow and begin to lecture the 8 family members on the boat how irresponsible and destructive it is to take a motor boat thru the grass flats and explain what prop scars are.

Land of the free, home of the ignorant.
Image Image
Chris

Postby LushLife » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 am

would any of you be surprised with how loud it is when a 1/4 oz jig hits a pontoon?

a couple of years ago i completely chewed up and down a couple of gorpers hugging the shoreline where i was casting - they seemed a little taken aback by my language after having gotten their attention by asking loudly "you have this entire damn lake and you chose to float over exactly where i'm fishing" - I overheard the word "rude" and lost it with a barrage of f-bombs and "FIBs" - my kids laughed for days
LushLife

Postby sslopok » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I had a couple of drunks trying to be cool last year. They were following behind me within 10 yards. I just pretended I didnt see them and did what I wanted. I own a boat and could not imagine doing what some of these yahoos do. A few have deserved a good beatdown. Thank god I am not nearly aggressive as I used to be.
sslopok

Postby CheckSixMace » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Chris wrote:I was wading the flats in Florida a couple weeks ago. This pontoon boat is trying to slowly navigate the shallow water with a guy on the bow telling the captain where its too shallow to go. He gets within 10 feet of me and asks me if I think he can make it thru the area. I say "you mean this area that I'm fishing?" He gets snotty with me and makes fun of me wearing a buff and sun gloves. I cast a double-treble lure across his bow and begin to lecture the 8 family members on the boat how irresponsible and destructive it is to take a motor boat thru the grass flats and explain what prop scars are.

Land of the free, home of the ignorant.
CheckSixMace

Postby CheckSixMace » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:55 pm

Hindsight being what it is. Should have told em it it was not passable without wrecking their prop. Maybe they would have changed course and leave the rest of the water for you to fish.
CheckSixMace

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General Kayak Fishing