Fish finder Help

Anything and everything kayak fishing the Great Lakes region.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Fish finder Help

Postby Laritz19 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:08 pm

I am currently looking for a fish finder. I do not really know much about them or what are best or worse. I am looking for some reviews of various models and what is best about them. I am trying to stay at or under $200. I am leaning towards the new Deeper Fish finder but am open to any types of reviews or insights that anyone may have. Thank you.
Laritz19

Re: Fish finder Help

Postby Fishin-Jay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:36 pm

In my experience you only "need" an inexpensive sonar because all you really need to identify is depth and structure, and occasionally it's useful to ID schools of bait or potential fish. And, if you troll frequently, a GPS enabled sonar is nice, but not critical.

I've been using the bottom line Lowrance for about 9 years. It's lasted through many, many trips on the ocean and just as many trips in fresh water. Color screens, side scanning, etc are fun and if you can afford them go for it! But in terms of "need," even the most basic sonars will get the job done.

So based on that, here's what I'd recommend if cost is an issue: http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-1144 ... B00MGAEU0S
If you want an inexpensive one with GPS, there's this version: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowrance- ... aQodEk0O9A
Fishin-Jay

Postby ThrillsOnGills » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:04 am

I personally really like lowrance products. They're easy to figure out and use without masters degree in instruction booklet. My advice is to go up to gander mtn or bass pro, cabelas, etc. And play with their demo models. That'll give you a better idea of the features you are looking for or if another brand just feels more user friendly for you.

PS I know it's not under $200 but I got an elite 5 ice machine, and all I have to do is change the transducer and it's ready to be mounted on the yak. If you Ice fish at all, or think you may in the future it's definitely worth buying one set of electronics for year round fun. Good luck! Let us know what you get when you get one!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
ThrillsOnGills

Postby sslopok » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:26 pm

I have a new in box Humminbird Helix 5 sonar/gps combo for sale. I bought 2, one for my hobie and one for my ride 115. I decided not to upgrade the one on my ride. 250 firm is what I am asking.
sslopok

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General Kayak Fishing