Hobie Odyssey Rig Help?

Anything and everything kayak fishing the Great Lakes region.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Hobie Odyssey Rig Help?

Postby Rook » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello all. Posted this elsewhere in the interwebs, hoping for some help.

I purchased a 2014 Hobie Odyssey tandem kayak last fall. I had it out a few time just paddling, but I want to do a bit of rigging for fishing. This is my first kayak, and I have yet to catch a fish kayaking, so I really need help knowing what to do. I will be mostly in Lake St Clair. I'll be going on tandem with my son and occasionally on my own in solo position. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

1. I really need to have some rod holders for trolling. I'm thinking scotty rod holders on some type of extension arms to keep them out of the way of the paddles. I'm also thinking to attach using the yak attack bars instead of directly attaching them so I can remove them easy for storage. Thoughts or opinions on what to use?

2. Do most of you use an anchor and an anchor trolly? I wasn't planning to get one, but perhaps I should. How do you decide what size and weight anchor?

3. I was not planning to get a fish finder, at least not yet. I probably will get an emergency ship/shore hand held radio. Is a fish finder a must have? Any thoughts on brands or models?

4. Where do you get those milk crates from?

5. I have the stock Hobie paddles, do most people use those, or buy upgrades? Maybe just one upgrade for a lighter paddle for the kids?

6. I need a third seat (for occasional trips with both kids) so I think the best idea is an upgrade seat for me and keeping the original seat as the spare. Any tips on a decent upgrade seat for an Odyssey? Will the new advantage seat fit or something like that?

7. Are there any rudders that can be retrofit onto an Odyssey? The few times I was out this fall the wind killed me when trying to stay on track and get back to the landing.

8. I assume that any keeper fish you just hang over the side on a stringer?

Anything else I'm missing?
Rook

Hobie Odyssey Rig Help?

Postby ReelYakn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Hey rook. Glad to hear you'll be able to enjoy your time on the water with your son!
As far as rigging ideas and options... You should check out the KFGL rigging seminar that Chris is hosting on April 23rd. Lots of good ideas get tossed around durring that.
Milk crates can be bought at Home Depot for $6 or $7 I belive. As far as your Hobie specific questions, I'm not the best person to answer those questions but there's a good handfull of Hobie guys in the group that I'm sure can help you out with those questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReelYakn

Re: Hobie Odyssey Rig Help?

Postby EricBriggs » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm

I'll offer advice for what I have, I'm not a Hobie guy so I won't be any help with the Hobie specific questions.

Rook wrote:Hello all. Posted this elsewhere in the interwebs, hoping for some help.

I purchased a 2014 Hobie Odyssey tandem kayak last fall. I had it out a few time just paddling, but I want to do a bit of rigging for fishing. This is my first kayak, and I have yet to catch a fish kayaking, so I really need help knowing what to do. I will be mostly in Lake St Clair. I'll be going on tandem with my son and occasionally on my own in solo position. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated. Congrats on the purchase!

1. I really need to have some rod holders for trolling. I'm thinking scotty rod holders on some type of extension arms to keep them out of the way of the paddles. I'm also thinking to attach using the yak attack bars instead of directly attaching them so I can remove them easy for storage. Thoughts or opinions on what to use? If you are referring to the gear trax, a lot of guys use them and I have yet to hear anything negative, the only thing I would suggest is to take it out a few times with a couple fishing rods and think "Where do I really wish there was a rod holder. As far as rod holders, I really like scotty gear

2. Do most of you use an anchor and an anchor trolly? I wasn't planning to get one, but perhaps I should. How do you decide what size and weight anchor?
I use an anchor, first couple years, it was just attached to the side with a zig zag cleat but I set up an anchor trolly last year and it made a world of difference being able to position my anchor out the front or back. As far as what weight anchor to use, I have a couple anchors and what I use is determined by where I am fishing. I have a 1.5# claw anchor but 90% of the time, I use a 2' piece of chain that weighs around 3 lbs. I prefer it unless its real windy. If I let out enough line, it will hold me still, I can also use it to slow my drift by letting out less line until I am drifting the speed I want. If it's real windy, that claw anchor really digs in.

3. I was not planning to get a fish finder, at least not yet. I probably will get an emergency ship/shore hand held radio. Is a fish finder a must have? Any thoughts on brands or models? If you get a fish finder, get the best you can afford. A little tip, If you have an anchor, and have a rough idea of where the drop-offs are, paddle out past it, let your anchor out to that depth and drift back toward it. when your anchor grabs, you are at the drop off you wanted to fish.

4. Where do you get those milk crates from?
What I find works best around here is I go to a small privately owned store and talk to the owner. They usually pay a deposit on them and if you ask if you can buy one for the price of the deposit they will usually be so glad you asked instead of just stealing them they will sell you one

5. I have the stock Hobie paddles, do most people use those, or buy upgrades? Maybe just one upgrade for a lighter paddle for the kids?

6. I need a third seat (for occasional trips with both kids) so I think the best idea is an upgrade seat for me and keeping the original seat as the spare. Any tips on a decent upgrade seat for an Odyssey? Will the new advantage seat fit or something like that?

7. Are there any rudders that can be retrofit onto an Odyssey? The few times I was out this fall the wind killed me when trying to stay on track and get back to the landing.

8. I assume that any keeper fish you just hang over the side on a stringer?
Thats all I do, If I plan on doing a lot of paddling, I bring a small pail to throw some water it. Keep the fish on a stringer and if I will be paddling any distance, pull the fish up and put them in the pail until I get to my next destination

Anything else I'm missing?
Wilderness Systems Prostaff
RS Nets Pro Staff
2012 ride 135
2016 Commander 140
2017 Radar 135
https://kayakingoutdoorsman.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/ericsoutdoor
https://www.instagram.com/ericb697/
EricBriggs

Re: Hobie Odyssey Rig Help?

Postby Rook » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 pm