Researching for new kayaks... Holy overload!

Anything and everything kayak fishing the Great Lakes region.
28 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Re: Researching for new kayaks... Holy overload!

Postby Mamacocha » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 pm

I have the Hobie PA14 and I roof top it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The key is using the Rhino Rack T- Loader to get it up there. For the roof rack, you can use Hully Rollers on the back and Yakima EvenKeel supports on the front. I then rigged up 2 PVC pipes down the middle using mighty mounts. These PVC pipes take most of the support for the pro angler. The PA has two horizontal grooves on the underside that these PVC pipes fit nicely in.

I load this thing solo and have it tied down and ready to go in about 20 mins. It takes about 10 minutes to get off the roof. ImageImage

Mamacocha

Postby Mamacocha » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:06 pm

You can alternatively use Thule Roll model kayak rollers on the back or something like the Oak Orchard Kayak Roller Loader. It really helps having some kind of roller on the back so when you get the PA up there, you can push it forward on the roof. It's really too heavy to do it without rollers on the back.

Although this was a project to figure out the best way to roof rack it, but in the end I prefer it over a trailer. Takes up less space and is easier to get around in traffic or city driving. I have no problems driving at highway speed either.

Mamacocha

Postby CheckSixMace » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Anytime you have something extending below the hull of your kayak, whether fins, a prop, a rudder, or a transducer - there will be risks from weeds, grounding, and fishing line. I run a trolling motor off the stern and wrapped 20yds of 30# braid around the prop one evening fishing. #%it Happens!

You could probably get a Slayer for a lot less $$$s than the PA and it will also weigh a lot less.

Both kayaks would be great choices in my book.
CheckSixMace

Postby Mamacocha » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 pm

I find that with the Hobie PA, the fins can catch line if you run over it, but because they are not spinning line a prop, it doesn't get tangled as much. Those fins can also fold up flat underneath the boat, so you can get in much shallower water.

Mamacocha

Postby jsnow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:20 am

No personal experience with either of them, but in researching the propel there seems to be a lot of potential problems that owners have to deal with right off the bat. The rudder was already spoken about so I will skip that, other than the fact that people who have upgraded the rudder report the rudder cables breaking) other issues i've seen people speak about are the drive units cracking near the thwart tube, units without enough grease from the factory, which can lead to failure, hull cracking under the rear of the seat (I guess there is a fix coming for that from Native), and a strap on the seat breaking.
On the Hobie side the only complaint is have seen about the build is the front hatch isn't 100% waterproof.
Based on that I would say Hobie has the better build quality. End of the day is reverse really worth the possible issues you will run into on a $2,600 yak? All the owners on the Facebook owners group seem to feel like it's okay, but part of me can't help but think it's because they don't want to admit to a $2600 mistake. Personally I would have to get a hell of a deal to buy one

Beyond the drive and rudder issues, I feel the Slayer has a better all around hull.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
jsnow

Researching for new kayaks... Holy overload!

Postby Mamacocha » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:45 am

I can only speak for the Hobie Pro Angler, but I have not had any issues with the front hatch taking in water. From what I have read, this was an issue with the Hobie Outback having a front hatch that does not fit correctly. I do agree, the front hatch in general does not secure down with a screw type seal or anything like the other hatches on the boat. It sits on top of the compartment and is held down with bungies. The design keeps water out kinda like an umbrella. I have taken large waves over the bow on both small lakes and on Lake Michigan and have not taken on a drop of water.

The only area I see having issues with water through the front hatch would be if I were to roll the yak and have it upside down in the water. Under these circumstances, water will get in.

This has been a bigger concern of mine. I feel that if I roll or flip, the situation would an emergency and if I have a lot of water taken on, a hand bilge will be slow and cumbersome while I'm trying to get situated. Therefore, my winter project will be to install an electric bilge pump. As far as using the hand bilge, i have never had to. The PA just does not take on water as long as you aren't flipped!

Mamacocha

Postby EricBriggs » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:12 pm

ThrillsOnGills wrote:Well im looking for a new kayak for the spring. i fish inland lakes in oakland county and im looking far a stable platform i can fly and sight fish from. i normally just throw my kayak in the back of the truck and go after work so im trying to find a balance between stability and portability. i saw the hobie PA 14 and the native propel 10, i like the idea of pedalling over paddling but how portable are they? what paddle kayak options do i have? ive fished a lot of windy days at the end of the season and i thought pedaling would keep me a little more hands free. any thoughts or insight would be a huge help.

The two biggest concerns I would have in your situation is Stability and weight. Im not sure what physical shape you are in but after a long day of paddling in the wind or rough water, roof topping my Ride135 isnt exactly what I would call fun. If you are just sliding it into the back of a pickup it should be much easier. If you are having to carry or portage for any distance, I would look at some of the new ultralight kayaks on the market now from Wilderness Systems and Jackson. If weight isnt so much an issue, the Ride series kayaks offer great stability at a manageable weight. The stability and speed of the A.T.A.K. also looks real impressive and the open deck looks like it could be great for fly fishing. (its going to be my next purchase). If hands free is important to you.....well...Ill leave this here

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/news/wilder ... tor-drive/
Wilderness Systems Prostaff
RS Nets Pro Staff
2012 ride 135
2016 Commander 140
2017 Radar 135
https://kayakingoutdoorsman.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/ericsoutdoor
https://www.instagram.com/ericb697/
EricBriggs

Postby CheckSixMace » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:04 pm

For Portability & Stability, you should look at Native's Ultimate or WS Commander. Both would meet your primary purposes for fly and sight casting! Also they would weigh in under 70lbs, and could be fitted with electric motors if desired. They have low profiles so wind cocking should be minimal. On the resale market, you could get one with extras for well under $1k.

Rides, Coosas, Predators et.al. geared super stability will run heavier, wider, and run higher in the water. They'll also meet your primary purposes.

To pedal via fin or prop is nice but really is just a luxury.

Keep in mind there's the weight of the kayak and then there's all the weight from the added stuff.

A good anchor trolley should help maintain your positioning on those windy days
CheckSixMace

Postby ThrillsOnGills » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:01 am

I'm gonna definitely look into these a little more closely. I am happy my ice season is here but I can't wait til spring to water test some of these.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
ThrillsOnGills

Postby Sansan1337 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:28 am

ThrillsOnGills wrote:I'm gonna definitely look into these a little more closely. I am happy my ice season is here but I can't wait til spring to water test some of these.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have the commander 140 if you want to try it out just let me know! Its really stable, and light.
Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
HOOK1 Fishing Team

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sansan1337
Sansan1337

PreviousNext

28 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Return to General Kayak Fishing