Researching for new kayaks... Holy overload!

Anything and everything kayak fishing the Great Lakes region.
28 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Researching for new kayaks... Holy overload!

Postby ThrillsOnGills » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:35 am

Well im looking for a new kayak for the spring. i fish inland lakes in oakland county and im looking far a stable platform i can fly and sight fish from. i normally just throw my kayak in the back of the truck and go after work so im trying to find a balance between stability and portability. i saw the hobie PA 14 and the native propel 10, i like the idea of pedalling over paddling but how portable are they? what paddle kayak options do i have? ive fished a lot of windy days at the end of the season and i thought pedaling would keep me a little more hands free. any thoughts or insight would be a huge help.
ThrillsOnGills

Re: Researching for new kayaks... Holy overload!

Postby Sansan1337 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:01 pm

ThrillsOnGills wrote:Well im looking for a new kayak for the spring. i fish inland lakes in oakland county and im looking far a stable platform i can fly and sight fish from. i normally just throw my kayak in the back of the truck and go after work so im trying to find a balance between stability and portability. i saw the hobie PA 14 and the native propel 10, i like the idea of pedalling over paddling but how portable are they? what paddle kayak options do i have? ive fished a lot of windy days at the end of the season and i thought pedaling would keep me a little more hands free. any thoughts or insight would be a huge help.

The first thing that I notice after I read this post....You might want to look around, considering you're looking at both a 14 foot boat, as well as a 10. A 12 or 13 foot kayak is widely considered as the "do-all" kayak. Many of the pedal drive kayaks, especially hobies, are very heavy, and not as portable as many other kayaks. I highly recommend going to a shop (RKC, Kayak Corral, Great Lakes Decks and Docks) and trying a couple kayaks BEFORE dropping the money on a new one.
Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
HOOK1 Fishing Team

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sansan1337
Sansan1337

Postby Kayak Dave » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:02 pm

Ive never spent any time in the Native but I love Hobies. The Pro Angler 14 is by far my favorite rig. 600lb capacity and stable enough to stand up and fish comfortably. I always stay dry in my Pro Angler.
With a truck, all you need is a Truck Bed Extender (Harbor Freight $55 after coupon). I easily transported my PA like this for years.
Let us know what you decide and post pics after you get it rigged up.
Kayak Dave

Postby Johnny O » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:58 pm

Welcome to the fun of researching and obsessing over the purchase of a new fishing kayak. Great timing as seeing that it is January, this topic will help you pass the time between now and when open water fishing becomes more of an option. I've been debating the purchase of a Hobie for a couple of years now. The two main things holding me back are a) price, and b) I like paddling and I'm wonder if I'd miss it. Yet despite the enjoyment I get from paddling, I'm often envious of the guys in the Hobies who are "hands free" and can check or change lures while trolling, talk on the radio, or maneuver while fighting a fish (especially in a river). If you are happy to give up your paddle, then to me the hand free potential of a peddle kayak is substantial. Regarding portability, you already received some good advice already about the bed extender. Also, there are some guys on this forum who regularly load and unload their Hobie PA 14s from a roof rack so I know that's feasible. For a few hundred dollars it's also pretty easy to get a small trailer (used or new from Harbor Freight) which makes loading and unloading really easy. Good luck!
Johnny O

Postby CheckSixMace » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:43 pm

Hey Dave don't forget Salmax! He rooftops his PA14 with seeming relative ease by himself. Personally, I'm a fan of the trailering option since I'm vertically challenged and not as young as I once was!
CheckSixMace

Postby ThrillsOnGills » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 am

Will that be an issue to car top it with the rail system on the PA 14?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
ThrillsOnGills

Postby ThrillsOnGills » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:45 am

Instead of the native propel 10, I've been looking at reviews on the 13. The reverse feature when I'm fishing windy days might be a game changer for me.

ThrillsOnGills

Postby Sansan1337 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:57 am

ThrillsOnGills wrote:Will that be an issue to car top it with the rail system on the PA 14?

You can keep it topside up on the roof.
Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
HOOK1 Fishing Team

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/sansan1337
Sansan1337

Postby salmax » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:30 am

I do it quite a bit, not the best option...but definetly doable.
salmax

Postby R_T » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:52 pm

ThrillsOnGills wrote:I've been looking at reviews on the 13. The reverse feature when I'm fishing windy days might be a game changer for me.

I had a 13 for almost 2 years, if you have any questions. What sold me on it over the PA, was the reverse, its a little lighter, I found the seat more comfortable, and it had built in tracks(PA didn't when i looked at them not sure if they do now).

Few things i've found over the last 2 seasons. Being able to reverse has been huge. Still love the seat. There are a ton of things i really like about the boat but a lot of people will have mentioned them in reviews. So i'll give you everything I hate about it. Pedal drive is worthless in lakes with a lot of surface vegetation(shouldn't be a surprise), thing turns like a tank because the rudder design is shit( consider getting the after market rudder), the rudder can be damaged when beaching the kayak if you don't pay attention (have i mentioned the rudder design on the kayak is shit yet!), if you get the line under the boat it will get in the prop and good luck getting it untangled, the rod holder with it being angled forward makes landing fish pita on the right side of the boat (personally i'd like to see if placed further back and angled straight up and down or angled back so its keeps the rod out of the way). There is now way to get the rudder out of the way and at some point you'll get your line caught in the fucking thing (may have already mentioned I hate the rudder). The battery opening could be bigger. The back hatch could be bigger and the bucket in it could be bigger(its a great place for first aid kit, lighter, flash light and tools/parts for pedal driver).

Side note: if you don't have a first aid kit for your kayak you should.
R_T

Next

28 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Return to General Kayak Fishing